Strandhill Golf Club was founded in 1931 as a nine-hole golf course. Shortly after the links was opened, a green tin shed was acquired as a clubhouse, which was situated near the present seventh green along the Strandhill beach front.
The present 18-hole course was opened in 1973 (subsequently redesigned with the input of several members) as was the new modern clubhouse, most of which was incorporated into the new building which was unveiled in 1997.
The club can be particularly proud of its achievements on the inter-club stage, where it has garnered 21 GUI provincial pennants during its involvement in the Cups and Shields. In 2006, our ladies branch, after years of tireless effort, were deserved winners of the AA Ireland Junior Foursomes title, securing their first ILGU Western District pennant in the process. Our Jimmy Bruen team also won the Connacht Shield in 2014.