Links golf is unique. When you think that there are over 30,000 golf courses world wide it is remarkable to think how few true links courses there amongst these. For many years the perceived wisdom has been that the number of links courses is less than 200, although a recent book makes the case for a total of 246.
The Irish Links Initiative (ILI) was set up in 2008 with the aim of ‘Protecting, Preserving and Promoting’ links golf in Ireland. The Initiative was the brainchild of Brian Coburn, the greens convenor of Royal County Down who saw the unique asset that is Irish links golf courses.
The ILI set out its objectives at that meeting, a series of objectives that are still its guiding principles;-
- To maintain and conserve the heritage of Irish links golf
- To enhance the links experience in its natural raw state
- To promote and drive the education of links management
- To exchange and share information among links courses
- To create greater awareness of Irish links courses
- To promote Irish links golf locally, nationally and internationally
We are continuously promoting Irish Links Golf internationally.